NEW DELHI: The death toll due to Covid-19 rose to 1,981 and the number of cases climbed to 59,662 in the country on Saturday, registering an increase of 95 deaths and 3,320 cases in the last 24 hours, according to the Union health ministry. The number of active COVID-19 cases stood at 39,834.
Here is a look at the latest updates on the outbreak of coronavirus from major Indian cities:
- Five cops test positive for coronavirus in Delhi
- Noida schools to pay Rs 5 lakh in fine if they hike fee this year
- Delhi government says it will pay train fare of migrants
- The excise department has filed a complaint with Crime Branch of Delhi Police against fake websites claiming to deliver liquor at people’s doorsteps.
- Dr Randeep Guleria, Director of All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) met doctors at Ahmedabad Civil Hospital on Saturday to give them advice on Covid-19 treatment.
- 24 more people died in Gujarat on Friday taking the death toll to 449 while total cases stood at 7,403.
- Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation, which had marked four hotels as Covid care centres till now, will now have 100 more hotels with a bed capacity of 3,175 for the purpose.
- Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation has decided to take up a massive sanitization drive in Ahmedabad.
- Two Covid warriors at an Agra hospital — a junior doctor and a sanitary staff — and a UPSRTC bus driver who ferried migrants from Madhya Pradesh to Jhansi on April 30 were among 155 new coronavirus cases in UP on Friday. The list also includes at least 15 migrant labourers as UP tally reached 3238.
- More than 25,000 upcoming housing units worth several thousand crores of rupees have been hit by the corona pandemic even as the state government has decided to lend a stimulus package to revive the dampened sector which happens to be the major contributor to state economy.
- Three boys aged 10-13 years living in a quarantine centre in Chinhat fled after scaling the boundary wall with the help of bedsheets in the wee hours of Friday.
- The Telangana government on Friday began imposing a fine of Rs 1,000 on people roaming in public places without wearing a mask as the state battles to contain new Covid-19 cases.
- In what could be a first-of-its-kind experiment, Telangana police are using artificial intelligence (AI) to track those stepping out without wearing face mask. The new system alerts police after analysing live CCTV footage.
- Close to 900 students from Telangana and Andhra Pradesh are stranded in Lovely Professional University (LPU) in Punjab.
- In probably a first in the country, a Covid-positive woman gave birth to triplets at the civic-run BYL Nair Hospital at Mumbai Central on Friday.
- Eight more BEST staff members were detected with Covid-19 on Friday, seven of them from the traffic wing. The total positive cases rose to 64 in the undertaking.
- BMC reported five deaths in Dharavi of people who had been discharged. The victims had completed their 14-day hospital stay over a month ago. The death toll in Dharavi—the worst-hit slum in the city-stood at 26 with 808 positive cases.
- Karnataka government and South Western Railway (SWR) on Friday resumed the services and transported nearly 3,600 people in two trains to Lucknow and one to Danapur, Bihar.
- Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) on Friday ordered shopping outlets on Commercial Street and seven other roads in the central business district to down shutters till further notice.
- Karnataka government on Friday allowed takeaway sales of alcoholic beverages from clubs, hotels, bars and restaurants till May 17.
- Karnataka government has spent Rs 3.5 lakh on each of the 136 Covid-19 patients treated at the Trauma Care Centre in Bengaluru’s Victoria Hospital.
- Local Congress unit leaders wrote to the adviser, UT administration Manoj Parida, requesting him to inform them about the number of migrant labourers who want to travel to their native states from the city as the state Congress unit is willing to pay for the migrants’ travel.
- Chandigarh administration has rejected requests of private taxi operators to allow them to operate in the city.
- Nearly 5,000 people, mostly NRIs, are expected to return from abroad by air to Chandigarh.
- Madras high court on Friday indicted authorities for blatant violation of conditions laid down to resume liquor sale on May 7, and ordered immediate closure of all shops till end of the lockdown.
- The Covid-19 count in Chennai was one short of 400 on Friday as Tamil Nadu recorded 600 fresh cases.
- Of the total 6,009 cases recorded in Tamil Nadu as on Friday, 1,589 were linked to the Koyambedu cluster.
- Not allowing trains to reach West Bengal is injustice to migrant labourers; will create further hardship for them: Home minister Amit Shah to Mamata. Shah wrote to the chief minister saying that the state is not supporting the Centre in helping migrants reach home.
- Several south Kolkata neighbourhoods, which had managed to stave off coronavirus for the past 40 days, are now on the city’s containment-zone map with fresh cases being reported from them.
- West Bengal government may shift truck unloading out of Posta.
- Prices of grocery items across retail markets have increased for the third time in the last one-and-a-half months.